PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway behind you - a way to save time?
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2009, 12:58
slip and turn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah thought we'd lost you there Mr Oh

But we seem to attracted the famous Rainboe himself now. And we all know if he doesn't like something, he says so. Good afternoon, Sir

Listen, I don't get up each morning and think 'whose good work can I criticise today?' ... sometimes in the course of the day, I just notice things done differently. I also know that once I am approaching flying speeds in something weighing 60+ tonnes and which normally uses most of 3000 feet or so to land and stop reasonably, that I'd rather have that and more available just prior to V1 than something only half as convenient. My sloppy '3000 to stop' may even have been there too in this case just before V1, but I reckon it would have been tight.

So what we have here is an observation of something unusual for this type at this airport. You'll have to take my word for that because I am not going to name the venue. The entry point used was unusual. Consequently, the rotation point was much further down the runway than is usual and a couple of seconds or 3 earlier just before V1, the picture of the end of the runway arriving would not have been much improved.

Unusual operations are usually a good enough reason to ask a question, so I did.

I'd be interested in some Performance calculations if anyone has the will. Let's be conservative: if anyone is feeling kind enough to provide some numbers to chew on, then what might they be for say 60 tonnes, NIL wind, temperature 15 degrees, and let's say sea level with 1022hPa? Runway dry of course. Qualify it with your packs and any other niceties. Anyone?

PS I am not a rejected wannabe, Rainboe.