PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Technical Alternatives for Pitot Tubes?
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2009, 23:27
Mike-Bracknell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know quite what you mean about loss of control of the senses: are you concerned that pilots would lose the ability to determine which systems had failed?
Got it in one...well almost - I was also including the computers, as with more than one failed component you would deviate from the known failure for one axis of the plotted database, thus leaving your computers scrabbling for knowledge of which system had failed and where exactly it was supposed to be in this database.

Trend analysis would have to be a feature of the database I think, and I also think you do computational power a disservice as nowadays there's a hell of a lot of number-crunching can be done with a lowly PC processor. Certainly enough to give a *rough* estimate of flight parameters i'd assume.

I do think there's mileage in trying to apply modern techniques as backups to firstly augment (and then maybe replace) the systems that have done well up to now on aircraft though. Having watched Wimbledon tonight, and seen how well Hawkeye does nowadays with line call predictions purely from camera data, there's an example of something that wouldn't have been possible 20 years ago, but works well enough now that the line judges are almost redundant.