PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2009, 19:43
cazatou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOAC

Those years on Tactical Transports and Instructing on Low Level at SORF totally wasted. I should be ashamed n'est pas?

I must admit to being slightly confused by your statement that "At least we have a consensus that they were in all probability VMC at waypoint change". I do not recall being asked to vote. The only things about "waypoint change" that can be stated with any certainty are that the pilots were undoubtedly in control of the aircraft at that time - the change would not have been made if the pilots were experiencing any handling difficulties - and that they were only approx 5776 ft from impact and travelling at approx 250 ft per second.

You will note that the investigating RAF Board thought that they were in cloud and not flying VFR when they made the waypoint change.

Perhaps you can enlighten us as to what new information you have that makes you so certain that the Investigating Board and/or all the Reviewing Officers were wrong?

You will also be aware that both the Reviewing Officers stated to the HOL Committee that negligence had occurred by the time the pilots initiated waypoint change in that if they were in cloud the pilots should have flying in accordance with IFR; or they were flouting the basic rules of airmanship if VFR by endangering the aircraft by flying too fast and too low towards the cloud covered high ground.