PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any royal navy helicopter pilots on here?
Old 29th Jun 2009, 17:30
switch_on_lofty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well done cben for sticking with this post after the flame-grilling you got earlier. I must admit that I had the same reaction as most early posters when I first read your post, due to apparent laziness and lack of research. All is forgiven however, and remember (everyone) that persistence and determination go a long way in flying training, aswell as the RN in general.

Some more info about what stage of life you're at would be useful, so I don't tell you stuff you already know.

What you essentially seem to want is some lifestyle information. I am currently nearing the end of pilot training, and so can provide a bit of an insight into the first 4 years of your career (which may only be 12 years after all).
Be prepared to:
-Be in training for a long time, sometimes just holding for your next course to start.
-Move around the country for every major course, and many small 1/2 week ones.
-Get the best training from some very experienced instructors, and good new ones.
-Work with people who are also highly motivated and good at what they do.
-Work fairly irregular hours, even on training squadrons. E.g. late nights and some weekends, sometimes going home early.
-Work hard to cram lots into your brain. This doesn't seem to stop at any stage of aviation!

As to loved ones, it is somewhat easier if you're married because the mil pays for you to move between quarters, but remember that your other half might not like moving around for a 9 month course! It's even easier if you're single! Get a good car, most courses people weekend to girl/boy friends/parents etc.

Looking ahead to ops, it depends a lot on what a/c you get streamed to. Just look at the different roles, and where they operate and deploy (see RN website). Read between the lines as to what that means for you as a pilot.
Speaking to guys that have just returned from 1st tours in Afghan, they loved it and it was all they hoped it would be. Conversely, Lynx or Merlin people love their jobs too and tend to stay where they are, so it can't be too bad there either!

Pay - See RN website, it depends on whether you are grad or not these days.
Options after - use grant money (from RN) towards getting Civvy recognition for you mil flying quals and experience.
Right, I've ditted on enough there, hope this helps. If you're still interested, get onto an AFCO and ask about a POC course, and I might see you in the bar.