PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jaguar - Adour Mk106 Experience
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2009, 14:21
Big Jugs!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reading WIL's comments and then Ian Coriggible's make me wonder why someone from UA (should that be USA) is asking about if the Jag engine was unreliable. From what I understand, speaking to a friend still serving in the Indian Air Force and ex Jag eng officer to boot, that there is a big fight between Rolls (UK) and Honeywell (USA or is that UA) to re-engine the Jag that is STILL being built by the Indians under licence (they must like it!). What I have been told is the new Adour is the core of the engine being used in the Hawks now going to India with upgraded bits bolted on. I understand Honeywell are taking an engine that only saw use in a fairly unsuccessful far east trainer and trying to shoe horn it into an aircraft not designed for it (and my BAe mate says all the wind tunnel data is no longer available). Being a Brit, and patriotic, I know who I want to get the contract and surely (don't call me surely!!) the Honeywell option has got disaster written all over it. As WIL says, are the RAF memories just focusing on the one off events. Anybody know more about the whole re-engine contract? The original question just sounded odd to me!!!!!