PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swiftair bancrupcy
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2009, 11:28
Dylsexlic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Absolutely right hotelmodemetar. Are Ish, Cheche and Despegue actually wanting the airline to fail so they can say "I told you so"? It would be an empty victory.

Many airlines are making desperate changes to try and survive. How about Aer Arann? Pay cuts and many redundancies. Their contract crews have all been terminated (they had 5 agencies recruiting for them this time last year). Futura? Finished. British Airways? 4,000 more redundancies AND pay cuts (yup - big carriers aren't immune). I could go on, but just wanted to put some perspective on this. European aviation is having a hard time.

Swiftair? Flexible workforce - hire and fire. It's partly that flexibility that allows them to quote good prices and respond quickly to market forces. Individuals may not like it and I do feel sorry for those who have lost their job, whichever company they worked for. I don't suppose the management like it much either, but just as with any company, they have to make these decisions. Business has no emotion and is nobody's friend.

Let's be realistic - there is no Job for Life in aviation and that includes Swiftair, Aer Arann and all the others. IMHO Pilots are the original (and best) mobile workforce any industry could wish to have. Willing to work under conditions that few others would tolerate, living in places that many people haven't even heard of, for a salary that doesn't reflect their hard-earned training and transportable skills like it used to.

Swiftair have recently hired a number of crew for the new contracts they have won. What purpose is served by attempting to trash an airline that still provides work, even if it has had to terminate contracts a few months back to survive? Perhaps the company would have been wound up altogether if they hadn't taken that action when they did? Should the rest of the workforce now leave the airline out of some kind of loyalty to those who have lost their job before?

Business must change to survive. If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got. Old cliches perhaps, but true nonetheless.