PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sponsorship Help!
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2009, 09:52
clanger32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zippy,
Excellent post and nail on the head in almost all regards. The only thing I'd HAVE to disagree on is that you'll need more than one cup of tea to get through 160 odd pages!

Only thing I'd add is that whilst I know - I really do KNOW - that ten years away seems forever when you're just doing your A levels, do NOT discount going and getting another trade for a while and saving towards your overall aim. This gives you the benefit of reducing your debt to get your licences but more importantly it gives you a very, very valuable fall back plan - something which many people are either very grateful for, or wishing they had right now.

Personally I think too many people rush into this with no perspective of what a more "normal" job is like - and hence you'll see an awful lot of posts from 30+ yr old captains who are jaded as hell.

Look for posts by someone like G-SXTY and you'll see that having had a previous career helps provide a huge amount of perspective that may help you enjoy the career longer term. Also, working for ten or so years and paying the full sum out of your pocket, rather than paying from incurred debt, will cost you significantly less in the long term.

Right now, there's little downside to this either, given that there really are hundreds of us who have the licence and no job, not to mention those that have the hours and no job....

good luck - just try and think of the long term goal, not just the short term "I want to fly - now, now, now"...you can do that on a PPL, if you need to, but I'd seriously, seriously suggest being as prudent as to you can on how you get the professional licences...this may involve going the CTC or other integrated route, but minimising your debt.