PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thai 777 NDB into MEL
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2009, 09:31
doubleu-anker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haha!

Took you a while to pick that up. No it wasn't me that took the ILS out at MEL, BTW.

New generation crew I would describe as a crew that have come straight out of flying school, and straight into the airlines. Not such a bad thing I guess and is unavoidable in some regions. They have possibly never seen the "light of day" outside an airline environment and have probably never carried out a non precision approach in real IMC. This is where over all experience in differing environments can be beneficial and safer.

I know as well as you all do, the crew are expected to be competent in all approaches they are expected to use. However, in the real world this is not the case. You won't be able to change this state of affairs and neither will I.

Also worth remembering, certain regions of the world, candidates are not selected on merit. need I say more?

So taking the above into consideration would it not be wise to have the approaches (precision) in place to include the "lowest denominator"? I would have thought safety would dictate this.