View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2009, 07:07
1a sound asleep

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thai 777 NDB into MEL

Thai 777 seriously stuffs up approach into MEL

ATSB REPORT-
http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/...eports/2007/AAIR/pdf/AO2007055.pdf

"The aircraft was approximately 6.25 DME (7 km) and descending through 1,544 ft, which was 556 ft below the 2,100 ft segment minimum safe altitude. The lowest altitude recorded during the manoeuvre was 1,247 ft, which was 513 ft above ground level (AGL)"

"Neither the PIC nor copilot had conducted an NDB approach in the aircraft or simulator in the last 18 months. The crew did not conduct a ‘go-around’ as was required by the operator’s procedures when the aircraft was 1,000ft above terrain with a high rate of descent."

I will try not to comment too harshly. Let me just say - nothing beats good training. This had the potential to be a VERY serious accident. At 1,000 ft above ground level, the aircraft was still in cloud with a descent rate in excess of 1,000 feet per minute, which did not comply with the stabilised approach criteria. In that situation, the flight crew were required to carry out a missed approach and position the aircraft for another approach and landing

The fact that the crew failed to initiate an immediate go around and let the a/c continue below the correct descent profile I find alarming. If a crew hears two EPGWS aural terrain alert ‘TOO LOW TERRAIN' warnings and still dont go around I have to seriously question the safety or the airline and/or operating crew