PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Sikorsky Attempting to Inhibit Others from Developing Electric Rotorcraft?
Old 29th Jun 2009, 03:51
Dave_Jackson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K12479,
Guess it would then become a case of fighting it out in court.
It appears that some well financed companies acquire 'frivolous' patents because the patent can then be used in court to monetarily outgun a smaller litigant.

I can only go so far, since there is no interest on my part to obtain patents or make money from the research and development. Perhaps one or more of the big players in rotorcraft will realize what a patent with such a sweeping set of claims could do to the future of the industry.

NonSAC,
Let's not accuse without solid grounds.
Thank you for your very informative posting, and your concern about the potential for accusation.

Firstly, I trust that no accusation has been made, nor was one intended. However, your concern is appreciated.

Should this concern relate to the 'Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation' and the question that was asked in the title of this thread, I would mention that this question was based on the apparent facts that the Correspondent on the application is Carlson, Gaskey & Olds PC and this attorney represented Sikorsky on over 80 patents during the past seven years, plus at least three of the four inventors do or have worked for Sikorsky.

As a member of the public there is a process for the public to submit references that you believe are relevant to prosecution of the application. This period is limited, so you need to act soon. The examiner's name is Michael Mansen; you can get intructions for how to submit references that you believe he needs to consider through the USPTO's inventor's assistance center at (800)PTO-9199.
This I will do.

Ironically, the following is interesting and perhaps very significant.

Patent Law ~ 35 U.S.C. 102 Conditions for patentability; novelty and loss of right to patent:
  • A person shall be entitled to a patent unless —
    (a) the invention was known or used by others in this country, or patented or described in a printed publication in this or a foreign country, before the invention thereof by the applicant for patent, or
    (b) the invention was patented or described in a printed publication in this or a foreign country or in public use or on sale in this country, more than one year prior to the date of the application for patent in the United States
Prior Dissemination of 'so-called inventions' in the Patent Application:
  • Presented at the AHS 61st Annual Forum, Grapevine, TX, 1-3 June 2005, and placed on the Internet 2-1/2 years before the Provisional Patent Application was filed on November, 30,2007; by the very same person who is listed as one of the Inventors in the patent application.

Perhaps the dissemination of this one paper, in and of itself, may nullify all 16 of the claims in the patent application.

Dave

Last edited by Dave_Jackson; 29th Jun 2009 at 04:18.