PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA and Project Columbus III
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2009, 23:37
sunnysmith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stall pusher,

From someone who has only just recently joined this debate:

The problem for cabin crew in BA, is that the Flight Crew have been let off lightly compared with the destruction of cabin crew T&C's, yet their wasteful and inefficient Bid Line is left intact. The reason I can be so authoritative about the stunts that some senior crew pull, is that they boast to me about it in cosy chats on the Flight Deck.
You seem to be intent in finding a reason to undermine any of our (pilot) agreements. Whilst you state that you can speak with authority about bid line etc you are only recounting 'anecdotal' conversations with flight crew. I gather from reading your posts that although you seem to try and 'research' our agreements (again only it would appear through conversations) you don't actually understand how the whole system works. If you did, you would realise that none of us get anything for free in BA.

The senior guys get what they want through bidding, and the vast majority of us accept that. As far as I know, amongst a very large circle of FOs and Capts, trips swaps usually only take place if if suites the swapee (hope that makes sense...) and seniority doesn't really come into it!!!

From our SEP forums (you know, the ones in which you think our managers encourage us to 'brainwash' crew - a funny thought by the way) BA are more than happy with bidline! It saves money in countless ways, ranging from days off swaps to trip preferences and a reduction of sickies!!! (people are less likely to go sick if they know that the had a chance of getting what they want!!!) To suggest otherwise is at best naive and at worst an attempt at being divisive between CC and FC. Data protection is a big red herring!

I'm sure I have flown with you, because you remind me of one of my crew who was the type of person who would argue that 2+2 is not 4.....

If you feel that we have been let off lightly then you are simple deluded and spoiling for an argument! Look at the BALPA document (there are a few copies doing the rounds) read it and try and understand the implications! Also, consider what we have done over the years (5-6 at least) to become more flexible and efficient and compare to your agreements.

Finally, and I stress, this is NOT personal (well from my POV anyway). We are not crew/Bassa haters. I would be the first to admit that in the past I never would have trusted BA/management, but the whole economic situation is very different and almost uncharted that I have had to think long and hard!

SS