PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defence: Public ignorance, the media, and cutbacks
Old 28th Jun 2009, 09:54
Widger

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Nurse,

I am not sure what your agenda is. None of your other options make any sense, you seem to be advocating a very much reduced and less capable Royal Navy. We are not the Norwegians, we are not the Omanis, we are a maritime nation with global economic interests.

On the subject of CVF, the money is allocated, most of it is spent already, large elements of the ships are already being built and many thousands of ordinary workers jobs across the UK depend on this work. It is peoples lives, mortgages etc that depend on these ships and their support.

Yes the country is bankrupt but, I am an advocate of pulling the country out of recession with large civil engineering projects, which will provide jobs and security. We should be building tunnels, railways, bridges, ships, aircraft, rockets etc etc. Manufacturing and production - not investment banking.

JCA/F35/Dave/Lightning could well be at risk as the money is not yet spent, just like several other areas of procurement but I would contest, that the ship is more important than the aircraft that flies off it, although Dave comes a very, very close second. I am sure I will be flamed for uttering such heresy, but it is in the light of certain persons advocating scrapping the GR7/7A/9, one the most useful aircraft in our current inventory.