PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "2 RAF personnel killed in mid-air collision" today
Old 27th Jun 2009, 20:47
LFFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will not comment on this dreadful accident because I’m probably not qualified to do so and certainly know nothing of the circumstances. My deepest sympathies go out to all those touched by these tragedies and I’ll leave it to the experts to find out what’s gone wrong. I wish others would too!

However, Beagle talks about what’s changed over the years, and that did awaken the memory of a conversation I had with a friend some months ago. He had recently returned to flying small aircraft after many years flying large aircraft, mostly in controlled airspace. I recall that he was somewhat surprised by the high density of aircraft operating within Class G airspace these days. He mused that the almost constant expansion of civilian controlled airspace over the years had nibbled away at “free airspace” and resulted in high traffic densities in the good areas left. This gradual change may not have been noticed by those operating within it consistently; but it came as quite a shock to my friend!