PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "2 RAF personnel killed in mid-air collision" today
Old 27th Jun 2009, 19:02
davejb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enigmaviation,
Mike Blee was not lacking in experience or professionalism, he had a substantial number of flying hours on rather more complex aircraft, but (and I have no desire to circumvent the BOI here, but some things in life are pretty obvious) he obviously didn't see the glider, or did so too late to avoid it. (Similarly the glider pilot, presumably, didn't see Mike - it takes 2 to tango).

I don't give 2 hoots who you think ought to be allowed to fly cadets, or what you think the cadet briefing/training ought to contain (it is a brave 14 year old who tells the pilot to stop doing what he is doing), I would be amazed if the basic issue wasn't that Mike saw the glider and vice versa too late/not at all and therefore I consider the phrase
Yes, well said Beagle, Jetscream and Big Sand, all the technology and paint schemes in the world will never prevent this type of accident
to be singularly bloody stupid -
you only avoid colliding if you see the other guy and take avoiding action, if you don't see him you don't avoid him.

For what it is worth I flew with Mike Blee on Nimrods for about a fortnight, we did not get on with each other very well, so I have no vested interest in protecting an old mate as he wasn't one. (A fact I did regret at the time).
Dave