PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "2 RAF personnel killed in mid-air collision" today
Old 27th Jun 2009, 16:27
Wholigan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I beg to differ slightly from some of the views expressed on here.

All the pretty coloured paint and flashing lights in the world won't help if it's hidden
all the technology and paint schemes in the world will never prevent this type of accident
I agree that none of these things will help if it is hidden, but it will help if it is simply bloody hard to see. Last week I was watching a Bulldog from Kemble working between 4 and 7 miles from me, but I could NOT see the Tutor that was reported by Filton only 2 miles from me. The only difference between the 2 was the colour scheme. Many of my pilots made similar comments when they returned from their flight.

Cadets would also benefit from some limited learning rather than a 20-25 min pure PAX ride.
Not sure which AEF you have worked with, but it most certainly is not mine!

Incidentally, on another point you make, the Hullavington guys have been over to fly with us on a few occasions, and I am sure it will happen again. This can only be a good thing. However, we always seem to have every good intention of going there for a reciprocal visit, but time and pilot availability has prevented it so far. I hope it will happen though, because that would also be good value for all of us. Although this is not what you wanted, as the flying of AEF sorties is currently (primarily) limited to pilots who have held Service wings, it is the best we can do right now to facilitate better understanding and knowledge of each others' practices.