PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rothmans Aerobatic Team (& Others)
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2009, 13:53
FAStoat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was in 76 Manx Kelly handed over the RATS to my good friend Colin Woods,to set up the Carling Red Caps,in Canada.However he let Bill Loverseed lead that until a falling out,and then he was involved with flight testing the Starduster and Akroduster 2 for Stolp,in Florida.I was flying at the Rothmans Display at Booker later that year, when I think it was James Gilbert who announced to us in the Pilots Tent of Manx's fatal accident.He had been doing a lot of flying with Debbie Garry and Gene Soucy in the US at the time.Incidentally Pete Sheppard and myself had bought the single seater S1D GAXNZ from Kelly aeroplane,the year before, and later bought Stampe GAYIJ From Manx's widow Judy Kelly.A couple of Rothmans operators that dont ever seem to get a mention these days were the 2 managers,Jim "the Prim" Primrose,and Meteor exponent extraordinaire,and Javelin driver Pete Woodams.I did quite a lot of experimentation with both these two in YIJ,after Mike Findlay nearly blew his eyeballs out when trying a triple flick in the S1 XNZ,so they were the only ones available..I think it is now legend how he recovered back to Booker with light grey above and dark grey below,trying to keep himself erect,as that was all he could get his brain to recognise.Going back to Manx's accident,I think it was in James Gilbert's fine "Pilot" Magasine that there was a very prophetic comment from Manx on flying the Akroduster,only a few months or even weeks before the crash.The Rothmans Team was one of the best ever tight formation Teams,and it is a great shame there are no formal Archive Film of them available?The fact they were a Rothmans sponsored Team, meant the TV Air Displays Coverage never were able to show them,yet they participated from 69 onwards at virtually every show except in the gap years, when only Marcus'sVixen2 and Bob's Jubilee Duo were doing it,until the 80s.Maybe Jeanne Francis has some access to Film footage of the RATS in action.