PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2009, 11:41
regle

WanderOo

I had some of the best time of my service life at Wyton, too. It was my first taste of a 'peacetime' built station when I was commissioned and I wallowed in the luxury of a well built Officer's Mess after the Nissan huts of previous stations. 51 Sqdn. still have their Xmas Dinner's there and it hasn't changed a bit. I still expect to find the Station Adjutant fast asleep , behind his "Times" in the deep armchair by the fireplace. I remember one night in the Mess we were having a good party and the Station Padre built himself a 'Jacob's Ladder of chairs and tables, climbed precariously (and well fuelled) to the top, stretched out his arms and cried "And the loving arms shall receive me" and launched himself into space. And the loving arms didn't receive him and he broke his collar bone !
I met Don Bennett and Ly a few times , after the war, at the Grosvenor House reunions and also ran into him, not literally, during the Berlin Airlift when he was running a couple of Tudors that he had bought. He asked me to look in the Hangars the next time that I was in Schipol, as he had left a 'Consol' (civvy Oxford) there and had forgotten about it. As this was a matter of years ,I never took it any further. I wonder if it is still there?
Those were the days my friend. Best regards, Reg