PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defence: Public ignorance, the media, and cutbacks
Old 27th Jun 2009, 08:02
Wrathmonk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
althenick

Just to get the flaming going ....

Bullet 1 - Don't thinks it's a regiment! And if it is they still take their turn on the op deployment plot so no money saving to be had. I note you didn't question the need for QCS. Or the Kings Troop.

Bullet 2 - The Reds do more than Airshows - there is the broader UK plc for one (which begs the question, of course, is who pays ....). Again you don't question the need for BBMF or the fact that we still havw HMS Victory on the MOD books (I think but stand ready to be corrected). Again, peanuts when it comes to money saving.

Bullet 3 - Could do with one and take the 'risk' when it's in for it's 5-yearly refit.

Bullet 4 - Yes, because again it does more than just taking down drug runners. And not just the cockers-p circuit either. Think humanitarian relief. And doesn't it also hold a FI reinforcement commitment?

Bullet 5 - No. That's why the UK are no longer buying 232 (and haven't been for some whilse). Think its in the mid 120's (see here).

Bullet 6 - And lets dust off the Jaguars to replace the Tornado as well.

Bullet 7 - AAR for the long range / long endurance sorties could be sporty.

Bullet 8 - Could use the Tucano for the Reds. Personally, as a COIN platform I think they would not be a good idea. Too smaller weapon load and whilst you could have loads more that means more pilots. And they don't come cheap or (as soon as the outside market picks up) readily available.

What about Trident?

Trouble is in these 'short of cash' times in which we live every Service thinks they are the really important one be it fighting the current war, defending London from tennis balls in 2012, having a capability to defend the Falklands - the list is almost endless and written to justify the individual Chief's personal interests. What we really need is a proper Defence Review rather than just trying to change the covers on the deck chairs. Start with a blank bit of paper, define what is required of the Armed Forces and equip from there. Difficult when we are fighting a war granted.