PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My beautiful Weber!
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2009, 05:14
birrddog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coming from the true south (like SRT), I find it amusing that these charcoal diehards scoff at the fuel from Satans bum.

I bet most of them use the easy light fuel pre-soaked with starting fluid!

Personally I feel they all have their uses, and I have all types.

For the true die-hards, a proper fire made from the appropriate hardwood, where the coals are then transplanted to the braaing (cooking for you heathens) area is the ultimate solution.

Unfortunately, in these "green" days of "fast living" satans bum fuel on appropriately configured grills, where the fat and drippings drop onto hot "cross beams" where they can smoke and re-flavour the meat do a good job to maintain the flavour (particularly if you have one in your kitchen for the winter / wet wether in areas where appropriate - though the fireplace also has its use).

If you feel you need to cheat you can even put shavings in the appropriate container to get that "wooded flavour", though I dont do this unless I am doing something /experimenting with fish.

Satans bum fuel does not add that wonderful petroleum flavour as many variants of charcoal, and is particularly useful for Spit (Rotiserrie), which is my prefered method of braaing man-sized cuts of meat (like a whole rump/roast, or chicken/turkey for the vegetarians, or a nice rump of port with skin and fat for the appropriate crackling).

My preferred method though is two fires, one preparing propper coal from good hardwood in a seperate fire, and another underneath a whole cow, or pig being turned and basted regularly for a good 8+ hours.

Alternatively a nice poitjie (cast iron pot/cauldren with 3 legs) or a plough blade with three legs welded on (precurser to scottle braai) does a handy job for most occassions.

Satans bum fuel and most charcoal are effectively the same thing.... one in gasseous the other in solid form.

For those who are going to flame me for this sacreligous statement please state in your post what brand / type of charcoal you use and how you get it in your response

The phrase "horses for courses" comes to mind.

At the end of the day the most important aspects are, did you have a good social occasion, did the food taste good, and did you enjoy your meal!