PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A very good military read
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2009, 01:29
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
"I found Thud Ridge a bit difficult to stick with." Me too. I started to read it because I fly past Thud Ridge every time I fly into Hanoi.

I'm currently reading 'Happy Odyssey', 'The autobiography of Adrian Carton de Wiart. He was wounded twice in the Boer War, six times in WW1 and three times in WW2. He fought with the White Russians against the Bolsheviks in the 1920s, with Tito's partisans in the late stages of WW2 and was a military advisor to the Nationalsits fighting against Mao Tse Tung in China after WW2. He was in three air crashes, one of which he had to swim two miles to shore (no mean feat considering he only had one arm and one eye) where he was captured but then escaped from a POW camp at the age of 60. After falling down some stairs, he ended up in hospital where the doctors removed 'enough shrapnel to make a new bomb'.

He didn't want to write Happy Odyssey, he was persuaded by his mate Winston Churchill. It's not a great read as he doesn't embellish or elaborate. For example, he forgets to mention he was awarded the VC and also married a German Princesss!

But an amazing man. He improbably died of old age at 89.