PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2009, 17:41
regle

TheGypsy

Helchteren , in eastern Belgium ,is a small place about twenty odd miles south of the Dutch City of Eindhoven, Hasselt, a Belgian town is very nearby. Helchteren is on the road between Hasselt and Eindhoven.
When you learn that the concentration of British Aircraft, alone , got to the extent that six hundred and more bombers were taking twenty minutes to fly over the targets, you would ask why more casualties were not caused from "friendly bombing". I have landed more than once with incendiary bombs still sticking out of the top surface of my wings and, in an event related in a previous thread, had a very large bomb go through the roof and out through the empty bomb bay without exploding. The silhouette proved that the bomb was not yet pointing downwards so the aircraft had been just above me...we were bombing in cloud on to flares!
Sorry to hear that your Father was lost in action. I was thankful that I did not fly Stirlings. We used to see them below around 12,000 ft. getting pasted by everything. Reg.

Last edited by regle; 26th Jun 2009 at 18:05.