PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Those that can do, those that can't teach.
Old 26th Jun 2009, 16:27
Big Pistons Forever

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
As a student you are paying for the flight instruction being provided. If you feel you are not getting effective instruction then it is imperative you have a sit down with your instructor and discuss the issues. If this does not work you need to talk to the chief flying instructor. If you get the brush off or things do not get better then take your custom elsewhere.

BUT

You as the student have responsibilties as well; did you

1) show up for the lesson ready to learn (ie not hung over, half asleep or with your mind still a the office meeting)

2) do all the homework and assigned reading you were assigned

3) reviewed the last lesson and made a mental note of the areas you need to work on as identified inthe post flight debrief

I have no patience for folks who whine about their instructor but do not put any effort into doing the necessary work.

You are not learning how to play golf. Get it really wrong and you are going to die.

With respect to the hours building stigma; I think the whole question is irrelevant. Pretty much everyone is hours buiding in aviation. Is not the copliot on the 737 hours building toward command? Why is that OK but hours buiding as an Instructor inherantly bad ? I think ultimately the issue is irrelavent. If a low time pilot decides to become an instructor than I would expect him/her to work very hard to be the best instructor they can be. If they don't then they are not acting as a professional pilot and should be called on thier unacceptable conduct.