PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A very good military read
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2009, 16:03
GPMG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have just come back off holiday and was lucky enough to choose '100 Missions North' by Brig. Gen. Ken Bell.
It's a cracking read, one of the best books regarding Rolling Thunder that I have read. I would even go so far to say that is the fixed wing version of Chickenhawk. The story telling and factual details are excellent, well put together and it makes for an easy page turner. He also mentions Col Jack Broughton who wrote Thud Ridge, who Ken Bell flew wingman for on a few very hairy missions, including having to get the air refuelling plane to toboggan after Ken Bells F105 flamed out due to lack of fuel. It is disappointing to read how Col Broughton was treated by the political USAF for crime of supporting his team.

I'm now looking for my next read, pref Vietnam pilot. But also does anyone know of any books written by the defenders of Hanoi? It would be interesting to read what it was like to be on the recieving end of Rolling Thunder or Line Backer. Much like Len Deightons Bomber was regarding the two sides of a bomber mission in WWII

Last edited by GPMG; 26th Jun 2009 at 17:15.