PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jaguar - Adour Mk106 Experience
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2009, 15:04
Kitbag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PTR, it is perhaps just as well you didn't have any in-flight engine shut downs. During the initial introduction into service GR (XZ400) had serious issues in getting through the relight performance at the edge of the envelope. The AMF sooties who were dealing with the aircraft went through some pretty painful times as the UTP/STANEVAL S/L Jim ##### (can't remember his surname, but a real gent who did his utmost to get this thing working) just couldn't in all conscience sign it off. I clearly recall a conference call with RR were the answer was we know- it either starts on the ground, or it starts in the air, you won't get both.

As best as I recall the 41 incident was due to unstable reheat flame burning through the side of the jetpipe. I think the cause on that one was attributed to damage (whether mechanical or thermal) to the Mo12 reheat manifold assy. Certainly the proximity of the damage to the rear group was uncomfortable and potentially catastrophic. An inspection regime and tight limits were put in place to detect further faults before they got too bad.

Wonder what the airworthiness guru's would make of a design where fuel tanks surround the rapidly rotating hot components of gas turbine engines?