PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Those that can do, those that can't teach.
Old 26th Jun 2009, 13:57
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
If you're paying for flight training, it's your money, get what you're paying for. Give the instructor one chance to get it right, by telling him the problem. You're there to learn, not be discouraged. The role of the instructor is to keep you safe while you learn for yourself, to assure that you meet all of the requirements for a license, and to teach the extra, and offer wisdom based on their experience. If they, themselves have little experience.... well....

I seek out the white haired instructor. They ahve survived, and I want to learn how they did that, and they have the stories to tell you as to how they did it! That's what you're paying for. It's one thing to be taught "do it this way" because this what the book told me I had to teach you (but I really don't know why). It's much better to be taught "do it this way", because I've seen what happens when you don't, and here's the reasoning behind it.

Sure, there will be times during you learning when flying with a low time instructor is ok, and you get to practice safely, as long as you both know why both of you are there, and what is expected. There are also those few instructors who slip through, have horrible people skills, but are amazing pilots. If you can stand them, and extract their wisdom, you'll be the better for it, but it can be stressful.

Everyone has a bad day from time to time, but if your instructor is not filling you with enthusiasm for flying, get a different instructor, or school. Flying is a fantasic endevour, and if an instructor can't make the most of that, you've got the wrong person!

Good luck! Pilot DAR