PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter torque reaction?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2009, 13:30
jimjim1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Quote:
Trouble is, if you put the drill in reverse, when you switch it on, it still kicks in an anticlockwise direction.
That's because the electric motor (which produces the torque) still turns in the same direction and the "kick" comes from that.
I have written this not to argue with the quoted posters but to address the original poster's question.

Thing is that the "kick" you are describing is NOT so strongly related to the helicopter situation since it is due to the changing speed as the motor starts. In other words it is an effect of acceleration and of rotational *inertia*. If you put the drill in reverse and actually *drill* as described, then as expected the effects are indeed reversed. I am not a helicopter pilot but I understand that the helicopter rotors essentially run at constant speed in flight (well the one I flew for 30 mins did - R22) and that inertial effects are negligible (and certainly small compared to the aerodynamic torque forces) as far as the original posters question is concerned.

Of course to drill in reverse you will need a left handed drill bit.

I carefully tried to avoid any inertial arguments in my earlier post so as to present the simplest possible case for the benefit of the questionner.

Just to mention again, messing about with modern power tools can be damaging to your health.