PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defence: Public ignorance, the media, and cutbacks
Old 26th Jun 2009, 09:13
NURSE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have to say I fundementaly disagree with the above analysis. Configuring an armed forces to fight COIN operations is a receipe for disaster as who says the next operation we get involved in will be COIN and trying to fight a medium intensity war with armed forces who are to lightly equipped would be disasterous.
I find it interesting that the argument is being put forward that we will only ever fight as a side show of the US. I seam to remember a certain John Nott beleivin we would only ever fight under the auspes of NATO before the Falklands were invaded.
I like his assertion about the Royal Artillery and 155mm I note the US and Canadians are deploying a light weight 155mm gun Designed by Vickers with great effect whilst we stick to the same light gun that went to the falklands in 82 and lacks punch and reach.
Now yes the argument about Typhoon vs S tucano is interesting could a super Tucano carry suficient weapons/fuel to have a viable loiter time and capability? didn't think so.
I