PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA and Project Columbus III
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2009, 08:15
wobble2plank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The sad thing is that BASSA seem to be attempting to tell their entire membership that is it impossible that BA go bankrupt and the recession is not as bad as WW makes it out to be.

From 'Times Online' about Corus, formally British Steel:

Corus cuts another 2,000 jobs amid union fears for UK steelmaking
Corus has already shed about 2,500 jobs this year after mothballing a mill in South Wales and restructuring several parts of its business, to counter a 50 per cent fall in demand for steel from its peak because of the global recession. Kirby Adams, chief executive, said it was vital to act now, given that any recovery in Europe appeared to be “some time off”.
(My bold)

Even Unite is accepting of the problems:

John Rowse, Unite’s national officer, said: “The situation for Corus and British manufacturing is too serious to stand idly by. Unless there is urgent support from the Government, British manufacturing will come out of recession hamstrung and unable to compete in the world economy.”
So, can the Government bail out every failing business? Nope. They have offered Corus £5 million in 'training support', how long would that last BA?

BASSA harp on about the destruction of contracts, the inability to live off of what BA are offering. For a start I very much doubt those statements. Sure the adjustment will be painful but sustainable. As has been pointed out many, many times before on this thread, this adjustment is little more than what other departments have done slowly and less painfully over the past 5 years. Those departments are already at the point BA want CC to be.

Consider however the possible consequences of ill informed and illogical IA. There are, as far as I can see three alternatives with varying degrees of probability.

1)At the bottom of the success probability scale is that the board see the IA as a direct attack on the girls and boys of the CC department and as PiB has alluded to, we can't have sexist bullying. So they sack the demon known as WW and the world returns to the land of milk and honey. First Class Pax and rich business men flock back through the doors of T5 in droves and off we go with a more BASSA malleable CEO at the helm.

Probability of success? 0.0000000001%

2) IA is called, WW activates his back pocket SOSR legal plan and the P45's start flooding into the post. The union call foul and demands an employment Tribunal. BA agrees but ties it up in legal red tape for 2-3 years. In the mean time, with forward bookings down over the winter, routes being trimmed and aircraft laid up, no slot flying restrictions and being cheaper not to fly than to fly, the company activates 2000+ temporary 11 month contract CC. Welcome to no job, long ET with a punitive payment at the end.

Probability of success? 85-90%

3) IA called, forward bookings drop to zero, the city loses all confidence in BA as an investment opportunity. Suppliers demand cash up front as IA has destroyed to forward going viability of the company. Cash reserves plummet on the costs. Share prices nosedive and a corporate hostile buyout ensues. ALL contracts of ALL 40,000 employees get reviews. Those that are militant get booted out. Pension disappears (investors payback) and the remaining 20-25,000 employees get allocated new contracts. All because BASSA would rather bring the company down than accept change like the pathetic, childish entity that it it. I wonder what the forward working environment would be like? Frosty one would assume.

Probability of success? 10%

So, to all on the CC forum that I am sure this will be cut and pasted, the idea of IA is, possibly ill advised. WW will have a legal plan in his back pocket. Irrespective of what he has done previously it is my firm belief that the board have him in the position he is in now as CEO for exactly this reason and he WILL NOT SQUANDER IT!

The pain will be borne by all in the company and the backlash could last many, many years.

Don't let a petulant union drag you to the brink of disaster. It looks nasty now and only a few days to sort it out. If BASSA could be bothered to turn up. The only hope is that Unite, who obviously have a grip on what is happening in the real world, give BASSA a good shake and tell them to grow up. Until then your union is putting your jobs on the line with the minimum of communication, for whatever reason, and no sight of any of the adjustments BA is demanding.

Remember, when bashing BALPA, BALPA kept all of its members informed through forums, newsletters, meetings, podcasts etc. We knew exactly the cost savings required at all points along the process. Members were polled on the subject of VR and then negotiations tailored to achieve the members wishes. Does this sound familiar? Nope. Instead BASSA announce a meeting after the deadline and a news blackout? Great.

I'm sure salient points will be cherry picked for the Bassa forum but here is the whole post. Enjoy.

As to those CC who are as aghast at the inept handling of this by BASSA as the other departments are. I really feel for you all and I hope against hope that this can get sorted in an adult manner to the benefit of both sides. BA is a great company to work for and I hope it can continue so without a few rotten apples from BASSA spoiling the load.

I await the BASSA forum foot soldiers 'constructive' criticism.

Last edited by wobble2plank; 26th Jun 2009 at 09:57.