PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TC 'Terrifies' Passengers - The Press at their worst
Old 26th Jun 2009, 03:52
Final 3 Greens

Users like you are the reason why PPRuNe's reputation has been dragged down amongst, if you'll pardon the express, professional pilots.
Why would I object to you saying professional pilot?

Clearly people who fly aircraft for money are professional pilots.

All I was saying is that the occupation of being an airline pilot is not one of the recognised professions, where an independent institute controls the ability to practice by controlling qualifications/licensing. Typically in the UK, a royal charter is also granted, e.g. the Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales.

To put this in context, highly skilled management consultants are not members of a recognised profession either, even though they have years of training and development in their roles and will almost certainly be educated to masters degree level and maybe hold a doctoral degree.

This does not n anyway demean airline pilots, for example who trusted to countersign passport photographs, in recognition of the responsibility of their profession.

My earlier point was made in response to Nicholas 49, who compared doctors, lawyers and pilots.

This point was invalid, because doctors and lawyers are members of institutes, who regulate their professions and where very strict codes of conduct and ethics exist around how they handle their clients.

Airline captains do not operate under this particular constraint, although they do have other constraints to consider.

Thus Nicholas's comparison was flawed. My comment meant no more or less than that.