PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2009, 23:16
lomapaseo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JungleDan

lumpaseo,

Thanks for the Aviation's week link. Quite frankly, I find the whole pitot probe story utterly confusing! On the one hand, the posts I've read from a/c pilots seem to indicate that air speed data are critical to safe flight conditions. On the other hand, EASA seem to consider that pitot probes issues are no big deal, just routine work, really...

I just don't understand how pilots' and officials' positions can be that far apart, as if they were living in two completely separate worlds? Seems to me that pitot probe icing is either hazardous or it isn't...
Agree!

The confusion stems from the typical myriad of expert opinions offered on the internet. The main reason that I posted that link was to illustrate that there are many facets to our (internet) collective lack of understanding.

One thing that you can be sure of, it will be sorted out by the investigators.

Every so often I do post a hint that we aren't going to understand some of these accidents without understanding the man and machine interface that played at the same time. There's no use speculating about this without many more facts to support the great amount of speculation