PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Segregated airspace for Wales UAS environment?
Old 25th Jun 2009, 22:32
Lima Juliet

Received 83 Likes on 34 Posts
The term "drone" was first adopted when refering to Capt Archibald Lowe RFC's aerial target in WWI and it refered to the noise that this rudimentary but also pioneering vehicle made. I believe it first flew from Upavon in 1916ish.

If you apply the term "Drone" to modern UASs, most of which have levels of autonomy (such as switching to "lost link" modings), then it is not truly a Remotely Piloted Vehicle (RPV) anyway. UASs such as BAeS HERTI and LM's DESERT HAWK 3 have very high levels of control autonomy - they are most definately NOT RPVs or "Drones".

I hear you on probe and drogue vs boom - interestingly some E-3D drivers find probe and drogue easier than boom!!! That said, nothing is impossible and computers can make far quicker reactions to basket fluctuations than a human - it just takes a bit of R&D.

The other thing to get our heads around is thought of a UAS AAR Tanker - flying an orbit in VMC for hours on end sounds like ideal UAS territory! You could do OCA, DCA, SEAD, EW, CAS, ISTAR and AAR with the right kind of UAS platform with offensive and defensive capabilities- as I said before, it is time to open our minds.

LJ