PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - unionisation discussions...
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2009, 22:08
ssschmokin1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clanger

Interesting points.

In brief:

Thomson is, I believe, a great example of unions and management working together to preserve the viability of a business during a downturn.

However, the relationship of pilots to mangers in thomson bears zero similarity to the situation at Ryanair. At Ryan, the profitabilty of the business bears absolutely no relation to the health of pilots T&Cs, other than in a negative slant, ie even when the company was making profits inthe region of 400m euro, the management were doing their level best to suppress remuneration.

Any pilot group that was vulnerable was targeted for reduction in pay. Recently it was first officers on permanent contracts, who were in a minority compared to permanent captains. A small (below inflation) rise was offered to capts, paid for by a reduction in F/o pay. In turn, those same F/os have been hit by a unanounced slaughter of basic pay (even though the company is basically profitable, having declared a loss solely due to a disastrous foray into aer lingus shares) as they come up for command, because the company now thinks they can get away with it in the current market.

This type of manouvering has been repeated several times over the last few years, with the net result that your average ryanair captain is about 20,000 down against inflation compared to where they were 8 or 9 years ago. i hate to think what has happened to F/o pay, in fact i can't, it's too depressing!!

Truth is, in Ryan, pilots are just a cost to be minimised, no more, no less. Loyalty is demanded but not given, there is no negotiation, just take it or leave it below inflation pay offers with loopholes, and breaches of contract are routine (speaking from my experience).

In a nutshell, this is why a group of pilots has said enough is enough, and is pushing for a union. Sure it's not the best time, but they feel there is now not a lot to lose.

I have to agree.