PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2009, 21:50
bast0n

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chugalug2

Could you please explain that bizarre statement, bastOn? I'm not trying to be clever, I really don't understand what you mean. You have regalled us with the professional way that you would have planned and flown this fatal leg using DR and airmanship that you find lacking in the crew that did fly it....and then you come out with this incomprehensible gobbledygook. Presumably the Nimrod crew are also to be similarly castigated posthumously? They accepted their aircraft as serviceable, which of course is of much greater importance than that it was unairworthy and recognised as such by the RAF! What on earth is going on in that mind of yours? Can you share it with us, for I am at a loss to know what on earth it can be.
I do so hope that you do not think that I have "regalled" you. I was as vunerable to all the vagaries and dangers of flight as all of us.
that you find lacking in the crew that did fly it.
I have never stated that I found them lacking. Purely conjecture. If an aircraft is unairworthy that seems to me to be a totally different problem to unserviceable. In my experience we knew that various bits of the aircraft were perhaps not designed or built as perhaps we would have liked. But at the moment when we accepted the aircraft for a trip we accepted that it was good enough and safe enough for the task in hand. We were after all strapped to the aluminium and if you worry about your own safety everone else on board should be OK.

I am also not trying to be clever - I just believe that to combine sensible basic training with the wonderful modern navigational aids available is a sensible way to plan even the most simple of flights - and this sortie falls in to that category. Of course DR is not the panacea but it is a damn good safety belt,

To compare this with the Nimrod tragedy is to my mind not fair.

Would you get airborne in an aircraft tht you thought was unfit for the task for whatever reason? I know that I never did. I am so sorry that you seem to misunderstand me. I mean no ill will to anyone but the facts do seem to point in a certain direction.

Dalek

If you can guarantee accuracy, over water which is around one third of this average, you are exceptional.
No - of course I am not exceptional - but your acceptable margins for error over such a short distance frankly amaze me.

I repeat - if the crew were unhappy with the aircraft why did they get airborne? (did you ever do this?). If they were VFR why did they fly into the Mull? If they were navigating with ALL the means at their disposal why did they get it so wrong?

Good evening.