PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA and Project Columbus III
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2009, 21:40
Matt101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confused

Okay, I've been fairly noncommittal so far on this thread, as I know, and have friends in BASSA back at BA, but I have to say that, as I still receive the daily email from BASSA and as an ex member still have access to read over "Crew Forum", my blood really did reach a point close to boiling today.

I was, a proud, BASSA member. I thought I saw that they stood for the same values I used to when I was a Union rep before coming to BA. Last time the gloves came off, so to speak, over a list of points - which now I forget - I let myself get swept along with it to the point that I thought I would happily have brought the Bacon Butties to the Picket line. I have never thought of myself as unintelligent or gullible so I asked myself why, (having realised now how petty that argument was), I got so entangled in the IA machine. Well I will tell you why, BASSA have one very strong skill - and that is winding up their membership.

They're doing exactly the same this time. Reading through CF you will see far more hatred directed towards the flight crew than you will ever have seen levied upon the Cabin Crew on this forum. Instead of the points about the Union (BASSA), and the out dated agreements that are raised here, you see pure venom and unsubstantiated drivel. I don't understand it. I believe BA Cabin Crew to be amongst the best in the world and indeed a highly intelligent bunch but it seems this whole issue has some riled up into a frenzy you would expect from children fighting over the best toy at play group.

As I see it what the company has asked for (and what has been suggested here) is thus:

A re-negotiation of the disruption agreement so that every time LHR is fog bound the following of industrial agreements does not lead to a bill running into the millions for BA.

Looking into making the old fleets more productive i.e. cutting down on duty hours on WW and increasing Flight hours on EF.

A new fleet which will eventually replace the old fleets as natural attrition reduces their man power. (This I agree needs to be handled carefully).

Other than that there is scope to re-examine some other things such as crew compliments which was inevitable given BASSA's slip at LGW.

Nobody, so far as we are aware, has suggested a Pay Cut or a reduction in allowances (though maybe a restructuring of them to make them more predictable would be wise).

Nobody wants to see people out of work/in the dole queue/facing foreclosure on their mortgage etc.

None of these points seem entirely unreasonable and yet anyone who seems to agree that maybe they are points which can be worked from is either Willy Walsh in disguise or deserves a punch in the nose or is "not fit to be in charge of an aircraft".

Ridiculous, and highly disappointing! (I don't know what else to say!)

(Though I will reiterate I don't want to see anybody suffer but in these hard times surely a bit of give is necessary? Maybe though as I am now on the evil side of the door I have ceased to be of any relevance).