PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2009, 20:52
positive climb gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man v Machine Interface

One particular design flaw, I feel, on the Airbus series of aircraft is the fact that the throttles remain in a fixed position during flight. Your only reference for current power is the Engine/Warning Display and FMA. I have been in turbulence in an A320 where it was IMPOSSIBLE to read any of the screens in front of me...
The drill for unreliable speed is to fly pitch and power...difficult if you cannot read the instruments in front of you! With Airbus, currently you retard the throttles to their current power setting as displayed on the E/WD display. If we had throttles that moved, the first stab at a power setting would be the current one ie just disconnect the autothrust.
It would also make monitoring the aircraft a little easier- if you saw the throttles retard to idle in flight and yet you remained level, you would know (in steady state conditions at least) that if you let the situation develop you would likely encounter a stall. Similarly the reverse is true if you see the throttles move to MCT.
Perhaps it is time we, as pilots, are given back some of the intuitive information we require when HAL gives up the ghost.