PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Starting to regret it!
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2009, 19:44
TheBeak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that you're spelling
Keep doing things like that, joke or otherwise, and it'll stick.

Back on topic, can anyone really say they can see the airline industry expanding within the next 10 years? I just can't. How can anyone afford to maintain their loan and maintain their licence and ratings at the same time whilst things recover? The loan costs £1200 a month after tax, the maintainance of the licence and ratings, averaging the cost of IR renewal across the year and doing an hour a month, is costing £250 a month and for how long? I feel like I am throwing my life away for the sake of this bloody job. It has dumped on me at every chance and I have tried my ar*e off with it - 400 hours on a 737 gets you nothing even though it has been earned and not paid for. I appreciate it is dreadful everywhere but this looks set to stay this way (within the airline industry) for a long, long time. This is very different to before, there are relatively more aircraft and airliners per head in the UK than ever before, the country is spiralling towards much, much more debt, relatively speaking, than ever before. Even phoning flying clubs and enquiring about FI jobs one receives a sullen and curt 'NO' and then silence. It is such a worry. It's going to take a huge success else where to get myself, and anyone else in the same position as me, out of this one.

Can any long standing airline pilot out there really say they have seen this before and it will improve - I just can't see it happening within a damage limiting, affordable timescale. Is it really worth maintaining this bloody thankless licence?

And before anyone questions my love of flying, I genuinely love it more than I can possibly describe. Maybe I lust after it rather than love it and we all know what happens when you do that with a girl that's not interested - they cheat on you, financially rape you and then dump you - much like it seems flying is doing right now.

I guess I am just having one of those bad days where you feel bored, frustrated and worried. So many knock backs......I have to keep reminding myself that kites fly highest in the wind.