PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK Pilots beware - a trap is being set
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2009, 19:11
mensaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree with your last post 100% fatbus.

It is wishful thinking that things will change for the better for pilots around the world. This is the first time in my career when it appears things will never improve in this profession. This career is a dead-end choice for young wannabe pilots, IMHO.

At least I had about 10 years of relatively good times, things should work out fine in the end. I truly fear for the future of young and eager pilots because the writing is on the wall.

Most airlines are led by managers who could not succeed in other businesses, something which has been difficult for me to accept until now, partly due to the nature of our job. But there is no question it is true. ****ty management is NOT a phenomena reserved for ExPat airlines.

Imagine Ed in a position of authority in a company that demanded knowledge, intelligence and ability? It just wouldn't happen. Unfortunately, an expat airline such as EK also has to deal with the pervasive and critical misjudgements of the likes of some LOCALS put in positions of power and authority as well. It is a recipe for disaster, which should be quite clear to even the stupidest person on the planet.

Do your best, enjoy the good aspects of Dubai and get on with your life. When your chance comes to upgrade or leave, then take it! If you are still planning on EK as a long term career move, then you will be immensely disappointed. AAR, TCAS and ED will not be leaving this place soon, and once you accept that disgusting reality, it should become clear that things will only get worse.

When these realities hit me (like a ton of bricks), my stress level lowered and I became one of the many who didn't give a rat's ass about things other than flight safety and my progression as a professional pilot. The day most pilots leave this place, I suspect will be one of their happiest moments. Considering I am relatively secure and happy in life, this is a strange viewpoint isn't it?

My final rant: if you are a decent human being, or even not so decent but a good pilot, then you will forever regret your decision to come here. It is sad but true!

ps. not emotional, just factual

Last edited by mensaboy; 26th Jun 2009 at 06:25. Reason: imbibed too much