PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - unionisation discussions...
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2009, 18:59
clanger32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Max_Cont:
Bob Crowe - Bob Crow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
He really is the archetypal "let the company go to the wall" man who would be cheering the demise of a company and all the job losses that go with it, rather than take a compromise. Admittedly, pure conjecture on my part, no facts to back that up - but I defy anyone to seriously say they believe he'd do any differently

Safety.
I'm sorry, but you really do seem to have taken one point, of one of my posts and obsessed on it. At no point have I said I believe anyone should take a pay cut. Nor have I said Unions are bad.

What I have said - and stand by - is that sometimes, concessions may need to be made to safeguard the greater good, rather than fighting tooth and nail to "prove a point". I have even given Thomson as an example of what I mean - this is great unionism...not because they took a pay cut, before you infer that, but because they worked with the company to safeguard all. Union officials like Bob Crowe (above) do no good for anyone - my comments were to illustrate this - not a general statement that people should drop their pants because an economic downturn is here.
If we consider RYR, then the underlying business is profitable - so a union is a good idea in that it provides a collective voice to say it's not right, when the business is profiting, to drop Ts and Cs. If...IF...IF the underlying business was in danger of closing, then yes, I'd advocate the collective considering options such as job share, voluntary leave or even a temporary salary reduction to safeguard the business and the jobs of those in it. I fail to understand why this is so hard to comprehend.