PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747 Yaw oscillation
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2009, 17:41
SincoTC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew from Heathrow to Singapore a few years ago in an SIA 747-400 (the one that was destroyed in a take off accident in Tapei a month later). I too was seated in row 62 and yes, I did notice some oscillations, mainly vertical rather than yaw, I say vertical rather than pitch because when I "sighted" up the aisle, I got the impression that it was due to structural flexing. It looked and felt like it was wagging its tail rather than the whole plane, so maybe the flight-crew wouldn't feel it. Although, I do recall reading somewhere, that on testing a new large aircaft, the test crew commented that you could feel the fuselage whip when it was given a "bootful of rudder". I noticed vertical motions mainly at rotation, flare and touchdown and laterals during descent through turbulance.

Being an engineer and realising that things of that size are never totally rigid, it didn't really concern me that much (but it was quite a bit slower than your description), so I just sat back and enjoyed the trip; it was great, plenty of legroom and nobody behind to complain about leaving the blind up for fourteen hours so I could see half a world go by my window, hell you can watch a video any day!

Last edited by SincoTC; 25th Jun 2009 at 17:50. Reason: addition