PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas A330-300 Turbulence Incident Over Borneo
Old 25th Jun 2009, 12:04
HarryMann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bladders, diuretics and endless visits to the wee-room

It seems nearly all of the pax injured were waiting to use the loo at the time the turbulence hit.
Possibly off topic... possibly relevant?

Seems to me from going to concerts, going to the cinema, and sitting in a/c as SLF, that a helluva lot (of 20 & 30 year olds of both sexes) have a bladder retention time of less than an hour or two, or they are overdrinking..

Constant alcohol/coffee/tea/cola drinking to excess (all diuretics) should be 'discouraged', where it is currently 'encouraged!' - they're all creating a BIG problem for when they get to 40 or 50 IMHO

Being honest, I'm 60 next year, and whilst I know my bladder isn't quite what it was, am astonished that youngsters today can be up and back for a wee 2 to 3 times whilst I 'might' go once, sometimes for comfort rather than absolute necessity.
There 'are' limits to this ridiculous emphasis on 'hydration'... what's the point if water is being replaced by strong diuretics? Seen the size of Americanos & cappucinos being sold as 'small or medium' in the Uk lately - very vulgur and a cheap marketing trick - THAT much coffee is madness - it's meant to be a 'short, sharp quick hit' and not for taking a bloody bath in

PS1. Also worth noting that women have a larger bladder than men, maybe something to do with cave-living & nurturing young c.f fight-or-flight of the hunter...

PS2. Also worth noting that carrying heaps of bottled alcohol on-board (some to be carried off as duty frees) is also 'madness' when so much effort has been put into saving weight in a/c design & manufacture. This not only is heavy itself, but requires space and extra structural weight to constrain and contain it.

Last edited by HarryMann; 26th Jun 2009 at 12:29.