PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My Story!
Thread: My Story!
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2009, 11:25
Mikehotel152

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sky Scratcher,

Well done on starting such an interesting thread, with informative and positive replies from the assembled Pprunes. May I say that your eloquence and balanced thinking suggests that you will do well in your career, whichever direction you find yourself heading.

I had a passion for planes, trains and automobiles from an early age, dreamed of being a pilot, toyed with the idea of joining the Forces, was put off by ignorant teachers and unfriendly recuitment officers, went to University with an open (empty) mind, and finally took the easy option and became a solicitor. I reasoned that as a solicitor I would have interesting, intellectually demanding job and get paid well, thereby allowing me the funds to pursue my real passions in my spare time.

After 5 years in the legal industry I realised that I had got it all wrong. I never looked forward to getting to my desk in the morning or seeing piles of files awaiting my attention. It became painfully obvious to me that the pros of doing a job have to outweigh the cons or you'll slowly grind yourself into the ground. And that's how I felt. It effected my personality and my marriage. All this was purely down to my perception of the job. Others in law feel very differently - my wife loves being a solicitor - but it wasn't for me. I simply could not spend another 45 years in a career that didn't motivate me and made me feel like I was wasting my life, whatever the financial benefits, perceived or otherwise. .

So, get as many nuggets of wisdom from this thread as you can, but your choice of career must be a personal decision and please do not commit yourself to a career as a Dentist unless you have a passion for it!

MH 152