PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA and Project Columbus III
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2009, 10:36
Shaka Zulu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've refrained from posting on here since I am one of those pesky pilots or as some crew call us Flight Deck.

Your union is telling you lies and withholding information to suit their needs.
This is not a union that represents you, it represents itself and a core of hardliners who don't give a monkey's about service standards or love for the job.
To be honest I don't even begrudge salaries paid. What I do find outrageous are all the ancillary agreements.

Tear up some archaic working practices (one down payments / 2 local nights off after a div). It will save millions of pounds for no change to your working lives whatsoever.

Get into a dialogue with the company. Do some concessions on pay but make sure that most savings come from those areas that in reality don't impinge on your bottom line that much

Get a proper bidding system in return that removes the cheating from the game as it stands.
Also get an hourly rate that works so you don't lose out any month that you are not on a high box payment sector.

And start trusting the guys who you fly with.
No one wishes you ill health/poor pay/no life. My wife is a WW purser after all.
But start looking at the world around you.

BA cannot afford this. Fight for what is yours when times are good, negotiate when times are bad. It will be forced upon you otherwise and the result will be worse for you all.

It's a darned shame it has come to this. I don't wish for anyone to lose their jobs/home and financial security.