PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - unionisation discussions...
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2009, 09:13
clanger32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm, interesting thoughts FBF,
I can't help but agree that RYR is in desperate need of unity - as the management continue to show callous disregard for it's employees. Speaking as a general industry manager, one of the key facets of successfully governing a business is that you HAVE to have your staff 'onside'. If they are against you, it's almost impossible to deliver quality - and through that, profitability (where "quality" = whatever the company's stated goals are, not necessarily "the best")

However, one of the things that continues to concern me about unionisation discussions - in ANY industry - is that STILL people have little grasp on the realities of managing a business. The best evidence of this is anyone that's ever stepped up from "shop floor" to management role - it really is akin to moving from single engine piston flying to high powered complex flying (jet?). THIS is why management (not RYR particularly here) are nervous about unionisation discussions. What those being represented fail to understand is that sometimes T and C degradation is necessary for survival. Of course, the key to understanding here is in two parts - a) how that message is put across ("we need to cut costs or we're going to the wall, but the CEO is still taking a 7 figure bonus" doesn't cut it...) and B) relies on "sensible" people applying liberally common sense. Of course, "common" sense, isn't all that common....and those that seek to represent on unions are all too often of the ilk of Bob Crowe, who would happily see a company destroyed to preserve unrealistic ideals....

Anyway, just a random collection of thoughts.

For me personally, I think BALPA or other unified presence is absolutely essential, but the biggest single trick is being missed. The whole reason RYR (for example) can get away with what they're doing is that there's a huge queue of people waiting to join - and they can't afford NOT to, having spent a huge amount to get that opportunity.

BALPA representing ANY pilots on a company by company basis is great, but misses the continual undercutting of the moral high ground they occupy by ever increasing difficulties in getting into the industry.
Lets' face it, can we be suprised that train drivers, garbage collectors etc can earn more than pilots, when there isn't even any base qualification standards? BALPA, in my opinion desperately needs to start fighting for those that CAN'T fight back - those who are qualified but have no airline employer, those that are trying to get into the industry.

The bottom line is that ALL of the arguments for and against come down to "I'll do what helps me personally the most"....those that support unionisation believe that it will protect what they already have and indeed enhance it. Those that are against it, believe it will aggravate a notorioulsy aggressive management into spiteful degradation of conditions.

Therefore, one could summise that protecting the base of the pyramid, naturally protects the top....but this seems to be missed almost daily, as a concept....
Interesting to see more thoughts, suprised this thread hasn't had more responses....