PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My Story!
Thread: My Story!
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2009, 08:08
Trolle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just as every pilot should always have an alternative while flying, every pilot should have an alternative with their career.

What I mean is that as an aspiring or current pilot there are too many external factors that can render your career obsolete. Because of this you should always have an alternative to your flying career. Industry tanks (like today), there goes your job; airline goes bust, there goes your job; medical fails, there goes your job.

My personal advice to anyone is that they should follow their dream, regardless of obstacles. Motivation, hard work, and determination goes a long way, dougy24 is proof this. Put it this way: don't lie on your deathbed and say, "I wish I had that." However, you are realistic and you should always have something to fall back on, something beyond aviation.

I attended a fancy aviation university in the US, got all my licenses, and got an airline job. However, I also studied general business. I flew for an airline, earned crap pay and was never home, but was living the dream. Then 9/11 came and I lost my job. People may be awed at pilot's abilities, but their skills are not coveted in the private sector. What can a pilot bring to a sales team or management team, when someone with 10 years experience is also applying? Employers wanted to hear about my flying experience, but could not see my skills in their workplace. I went back to school, got a management degree, got an offer to work in management at an airline and ended up with a PhD. Now I teach at the university and am looking to fly corporate in my free time.

If I could do it again I would learn a trade, something like carpenter, electrician, or some kind of science or engineer field. Then I would learn to fly on the cheap and try an airline job, but have my other background as an alternative.

You have the right attitude to be a pilot, but be cautious because you don't want to get yourself into a trap where you have an expensive pilot's license, no degree, and no job. You may end up doing some crap job and being bitter.