PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My Story!
Thread: My Story!
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2009, 03:37
pablo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
excellent advice guys

I'm right now at a hard stage in which I'm wondering if all the effort is really worth.

On one side I look forward to quit flying (or lack thereof, due to bad luck/timing, although hired, I'm not flying much), but... on the other side I say to myself "what if this is the wrong/worst move".

For some of you it's easy to not look back, as in the end you have succeeded in your goals and found an airline job, acceptably paid, but... some of us still wonder if we will make it, and once we are there if we will be happy with it and think all the effort was worth.
And doing the reverse move isn't easy, as you have a lot of family/friends/colleagues pressure to stay. Nobody would understand/support the decision.

I don't mean to set the negative note here, but I think some of us, if we could travel back in time, would have done something else.

But... as some of us are relentless daydreamers... we might have ended up wanting to travel back in time once more to choose aviation this time.
Who knows?

In any case, it's a huge financial effort in a difficult industry.
I agree with some of the guys in getting a "real" career first for 2 main reasons: saving money and not least important have a plan B in case aviation doesn't work.
Then you can go modular while you work and do things at your pace.

In the end, even some of us that went integrated and got our license at the age of 20, it wasn't after 3-4 years later that we could find our first flying job (and not as airline pilot). Depending on the situation of the industry, your personal issues/condition, etc... can make difficult for you fidning a job.
If you go modular, you can earn money while you study and in the end if the timing is good you might find a flying job at a similar age you would if you were integrated.

You can even ask some sort of allowed leave and take 3-4 months off to go time building in the US which is extremely cheaper.
There are many routes to take.

Keep on pursuing your dream, but think carefully on each step you make.

All the best

Regards / Pablo