PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aussie Expats In The USA
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2009, 03:07
pablo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmm....

I don't know how you guys think it's like in Europe or some other parts of the world.
In Europe ain't easy for sure, and besides it's getting expensive.

Market is as bad as anywhere else, or even worse, as there's less movement than for instance the US, and for most airlines now you need a type rating, or a type rating + hours on type.
We are talking from about 40k USD to 100k USD some guys are cashing for line training.

I don't know in OZ or other parts, but in most of Europe instructing is not really a choice for a professional career, while in the US there are a couple of well-paying schools around that can make that stage a little bit more bearable.

In the US there are far many more airlines, and a lot more general aviation movements, so I think there are more opportunities. Yes... more pilots, but many openings as well.

To BritishGuy... well.. quality of life in the US for some of us is just awesome and a million times better than anywhere in Europe, so no need of flaming like that. I understand the situation might be frustrating, but you, as many others, will miss your time in the US when you are back in old grey boring Europe.

Even instructing or just GA flying beats big time flying in Europe.
The a/c flies about the same, but all the stuff around is a bit more complicated unless you fly from an "airstrip".
Request landing in an airport comparable to Phoenix or Dallas (or any other class B) and the controllers will probably be on the floor laughing at you.

Or going to an FBO and have free access to computers, coffee, etc... at no cost. In some places even you are offered a courtesy car to go have dinner.

If you drop by the Private Flying forum here at pprune you'll find some horror stories of guys having to pay ridiculously expensive handling fees, etc... for a service not comparable to that you get in the US for free (in most places).

When you are back flying in Europe, please drop by and tell us if you still feel the same.

Kind regards / Pablo