PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Technical Alternatives for Pitot Tubes?
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2009, 21:53
falconer1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well Hyperveloce,

sorry, but you are proving my point, maybe without wanting to..

the story about the A-320 probes seems to have been about water drainage..

(stuff that could affect the pitots when flying in heavy rain for instance in an approach situation..)

The problems that Air France and Air Caraibes for instance have had with the A-330 /340 probes seems to have been during "dynamic convective" situations at high altitude...and that does not seem to be related to the water accumulation as such in the probes but seems more related to sudden freezing of the probes by super cooled droplets..so seems to be related to the heating elements..

That's the reason, according to what I have heard, that Airbus themselves had been skeptical whether the updated A-320 probe would solve the A330/340 issues..

and in regards to any reports that may correlate the high altitude freezing issues with any "new" climate we may experience..

well, I would be very careful with these theories..

the simple reason may well be that we have a lot more long range flights today which cross well known convective zones on a regular basis, and therefore we may see a significant increase of such incidents / accidents..

and like some others here in the radar threads maybe rightfully suspect, that we may not be as conservative in regards to heavy weather avoidance as in earlier times, maybe because some new high tech stuff in the cockpits, while being an enormous improvement in many regards, on the other hand may lead to a false sense of safety at times..

and may have changed in ever so subtle ways our threat perceptions..