PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TC 'Terrifies' Passengers - The Press at their worst
Old 24th Jun 2009, 21:30
Final 3 Greens

Flying Lawyer

On the subject of cargo doors, I have written case studies for executive development workshops based on the DC10 story, so I know a little more about cargo doors and the consequences of certain failure modes than most pax.

I would be suspicious of an airline I have never heard of (I see from Google founded in 2009, with a single aircraft, so no reputation or track record to go on), who were sub contracted in and declared they wished to despatch with a faulty cargo door. If it was British Airways, I would not be suspicious.

That may be unfair, but it is no different to a customer choosing Price Waterhouse Coopers as an audit firm, over the local high street accountant, who may be excellent, but who does not have the same reputation.

It's quite a reasonable to wish to know the failure mode. If it is a plug and it fails safe, then I would be okay, if not, I have the means to walk away and buy another flight.

I have only ever done this once, a long time ago, when I was waiting to board a South American carrier in Europe and the plane that arrived looked like a piece of junk, filthy, with the former owners logo clearly visible under the 'new' paint scheme. I bought a new ticket with Air France and waited for another five hours - I am still comfortable with that decision.

You may call me stupid, but that same airline lost a 747, 727 and a 707 within the next decade.

As to my quoting of Helios and Spanair, I think you miss my point; I am sure that airline pilots are excellently trained and highly capable people.

But the point is that highly professional crews are involved in accidents and peope know that, so their concern is not entirely irrational, even though most people make the majority of their decisions irrationally (in the clinical sense of the word.)

I'll say again that the general public no longer has the same level of trust in the professionals that they enjoyed 30 years ago. I'm a professional in another field, we encounter the same scepticism. You have to learn how to manage it.