PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TC 'Terrifies' Passengers - The Press at their worst
Old 24th Jun 2009, 20:34
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Little Blue said
I suggest the "terrified" holiday makers stick to Blackpool in future...far safer on the M6.
I wonder if those complaining that the reference to Blackpool was ‘snobbish’ etc have considered that it was merely a way of suggesting that people who are so easily “terrified” might, instead of flying abroad for their holidays, go to a seaside resort which can be reached by road … even though driving on motorways is not without risk.
What is unreasonable about giving as an example one of Britain’s most famous seaside resorts?
Perhaps it’s those choosing to be offended who are being snobbish? Snobbish about Blackpool.
There are some very beautiful parts of Majorca but the larger busy resorts with enormous hotels and ‘pubs’ packed with (often British) holiday-makers make Blackpool seem sophisticated in comparison.

keeprighton1974
2. I don't care who you are - if you're queuing for a flight and the arrivals are kissing the ground / sobbing / telling you not to get on the plane, you're seriously going to consider not boarding the thing!!
I don’t know why you feel able to speak for everyone else but, speaking for myself, it wouldn’t have that effect upon me.

Turbulence during the Inbound flight would not lead me to regard the aircraft as "the thing!!", nor would it cause me to consider not boarding.
I would seriously consider changing flights if it meant I'd have to spend a few hours confined in a cabin with the people who, if it's true, were kissing the ground/sobbing/telling people not to get on the plane. Thankfully, for obvious reasons, they would not be on the Outbound flight.

Final 3 Greens
I’m content to agree to differ about the amount of information which should have been given although, having now read that you don't think the problem with the door should have been mentioned, we're not as far apart re that aspect as I thought.
What took me aback most about what you’ve said in your various posts was that, before boarding, you would wish to know:
“What is the failure mode of a jammed cargo door on a 757?”
”What are the consequences?”
And, that unless you received what in your opinion (as a PPL) was a “sensible answer”, you wouldn’t board.
It is, of course, your absolute right not to board. I (as a PPL) would be entirely content to accept the judgment of the professional airline pilots flying the aircraft without wishing to be told how they reached that decision. If I didn't trust the judgment of professional airline pilots I wouldn't fly in airliners.

"Helios, Spanair et al"
Airliners do crash, albeit extremely rarely, and some crashes are attributed wholly or in part to pilot error but I share S-N-R's view. My professional involvement in the legal aftermath of many aircraft accidents (all categories) over a few decades, including close analysis of hundreds of accident investigation reports, has increased rather than reduced my confidence in professional pilots.

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; 24th Jun 2009 at 21:20.