PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine quit late downwind at Bankstown 6/6/09
Old 24th Jun 2009, 10:09
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heard of a Dynamic stall?
Yes I have, and we even teach accelerated stalls in the sim, but as it isn't relevant to the Bankstown incident I couldn't be arsed to write a treatise on the various different types of stalls.

Energy hasn't really got anything to do with a stall, a stall is simply an AOA issue, exceed the critical angle and you will stall.
OK then... why is the AOA increasing? Couldn't have anything to do with decreasing energy and the need to increase the AoA to maintain altitude, could it?

You can quite happily fly along with the stick shaker going bazerk, it does not mean you will stall, it just means that if you increase the AOA any further you will.
It depends on the aircraft you fly, and how much you want to experience a stick push. On the one I fly, if one ADC senses a Stall Identification Angle, you get the stick shaker and the push is armed. It is not far at all from that position to a stick push. Of course you can fly in stick shaker all day if you want, but it isn't smart. You can also fly a Cherokee in stall buffet all day as well if you really want to.

Quite often the stick shaker will activate on a go around.
Not if you fly it accurately it won't. Only happens if you are too aggressive raising the nose.

I thought all you kiwis wanted a piece of Jitstar pie! 500 applicants, thats just about everybody left in the whole country isn't it
Just leaves more sheep for the rest of us...